Sunday, July 7, 2013

Underrated Gem #3: Too Young To Know


In 1974, UFO released the album Phenomenon.  One of the songs I really like on the album is a southern style song called "Too Young To Know."  I like the song so much because of Phil's vocals.  He has such a great tone to his voice, and he really sounds like the late great Ronnie Van Zant.  This song is so much different than most UFO songs, because it strays away from hard rock, and goes to more of a Lynyrd Skynrd sound.  I think this song is very underrated, and it is better than some of the band's biggest hits.  It has such a cool feel, and it is very uplifting.  Michael's guitar playing is very neat, because he does work with the slide, and his simple riff is still completely awesome.  I really recommend this song, because it is really amazing.  What UFO songs do you find underrated?

2 comments:

  1. I just checked out this tune and indeed you would think these boys were from south of the Mason-Dixon line! Very much unlike what I usually expect from this band and it is a testimony to their stylistic range. Schenker, as usual rises to the occasion with tasteful guitar work throughout that calls to my mind a bit of Chris Spedding. A lovely, lovely tune. My own pick for one of the band's underrated songs is "Night Run" from the Misdemeanor album. Although Atomic Tommy does a great job, I can only imagine what Schenker would have done to this great composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel that Night Run is a great underrated song. It is also much different than what you would think of with UFO. I am going to keep recommending songs so that would be a great one to write about. Michael Schenker could've probably done unspeakable things with it. Tommy was very good though in the band. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete