Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mechanix Album Review

5/5

The thing that I love about UFO is that they go out of their way to make the greatest possible albums they can make.  They don't just settle with making a mediocre crap rock album.  This is one of the albums that really show their dedication.  Released in February of 1982, and produced by Gary Lyons, UFO made one of their best albums ever.  It is such a diverse album, because some of the songs are brutal rockers like "The Writer", and some are heartfelt ballads like "Terri."  I love this album, because it shows the band's peak in the studio.  It is my new favorite studio album by the band, and that's quite a compliment because I've listened to 15 of the band's albums, and I love them all.  The credit for its greatness an be given to Phil's amazing vocals, Paul's amazing guitar, and Neil Carter's brilliance in everything music( especially his saxophone playing).  When you talk about a gem in music, this an ideal example.  

The album opens up with a very awesome rocker called "The Writer."  This song has a killer riff, and extremely aggressive vocals.  I also love Neil's keyboard and saxophone playing.  It was such an evolution for the band's music, and I really wish Neil would've stayed in the band a little longer( not to knock on the great Paul Raymond, because I love him being in the band too).  The next song is a cover of Eddie Cochran called "Something Else."  This song opens up with a great drum intro, and then it kicks into an extremely catchy song.  The next song "Back Into My Life" is a softer song, and it is so amazing.  It is the kind of song that immediately hooks you in.  Phil's vocals are so good, and the mellow riff from Paul Chapman is also really nice.  The next song "You'll Get Love" starts off with one of the coolest riffs of all time.  It is kind of a mix of a bop and Guns N' Roses( even though Guns N' Roses hadn't been heard of from the world until four years later).  It also has such great lyrics.  The next song "Doing It All For You" is great just like the rest of the album.  The next song on the album is my favorite, and it is called "We Belong To The Night."  I love the chugging riff to this song so much, because it gives off such a humongous amount of energy.  The lyrics/ vocals are so emotional, and they show a lot of passion.  Everything about this song is amazing, and I love to play it on guitar so much.  It is the definition of hard rock.  If you are going to check out one song on this album, then definitely listen to this.  The next song "Let It Rain" is the perfect follow up to the last song.  It is so uplifting, and it is amazing.  I love the effect of the opening riff, because it transitions so well from "We Belong To The Night."  Even though it is light, it also has so much backbone behind it, and it still makes me bang my head.  The chorus is also so amazing, because it has so much energy.  The next song is "Terri," and is one of my favorite ballads of all time.  I won't describe it too much since I did write a whole article on it.  The next song "Feel It" is such a catchy song, I really love the chorus a lot, and the riff is very cool.  The last song on the album "Dreaming" is so intense.  I love the lyrics to the chorus, because they fit so well to Phil's voice.  The whole vibe of the song is perfect, and it is a great album closer. 

I know that the classic era of UFO featured Michael Schenker, but the Paul Chapman albums( especially this one) are just as great.  I love this album so much, and it is really one of the best albums I have ever heard.  Definitely listen to this album, because it will give you a whole new appreciation of the greatest band ever; UFO.

4 comments:

  1. I thought schenker and came to this album. But this sounds classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UFO were great. No matter the line up. They were the Hard Rock /Metal that I first remember as a youngster in the 70's. They got airplay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UFO may very well BE the greatest band ever. They had (arguably) the greatest voice in rock (Mogg) and (arguably) the greatest rock guitarist (Schenker). And UFO with Chapman were just as good as they were with Schenker.

    ReplyDelete