Monday, August 19, 2013

Michael Schenker's Work With The Slide In UFO


Michael Schenker has forever been acclaimed for his fiery soloing and riffs, but I feel that his playing on the slide is heavily overlooked.  I think he is extremely precise in this technique, and that he was up there with the best.

 The first time he used the slide in UFO was on "Too Young To Know" on the album Phenomenon.  The slide fits so well in this song, because it already has a very southern sound to it, and this just added to it.  He plays very similar to Gary Rossington or Duane Allman in this song.  The next time where I have noticed the slide was on "I'm A Loser" from No Heavy Petting.  This song uses the slide in the intro when the riff has played a few times.  One of the later uses of the slide with Michael was "Electric Phase" from the album Light's Out.  I think his solos on the slide are extremely great in this song, and they are very precise.  The other song that has slide on Light's Out is my favorite "Love To Love."  This song has the long slide intro, and it is so creative.  I love how emotional Michael's playing is in this intro, because you can feel his passion.

Those are the times that I noticed Michael's slide playing best.  If there are any that I missed, then feel free to tell me them in the comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment