Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Live Or Studio: Which Version Of These UFO Songs Is Better?


For my article today, I decided to take the set list of the Strangers In The Night album, and choose whether this version of the song is better, or if the studio version is better.  

1. "Natural Thing"- Live.  This song is so much better on Strangers In The Night.  It just has twice the energy, and I think the performances are also much better too.

2. "Out In The Street"- Live.  The main thing I like more live is the tempo.  The studio version is a lot slower, and it really doesn't flow as well, but on the live version, it is so much catchier and energetic.  Also, Paul Raymond's keyboard playing is much better than Danny Peyronel's for this song.

3. "Only You Can Rock Me"- Live.  This song became so much more of an anthem because of Strangers In The Night.  The just had a much better tone, and Phil's voice is so much better than on the studio version. 

4. "Doctor Doctor"- Live.  It is very rare that I listen to the Phenomenon version, because I love this version so much more.  The riff sounds so much better, and the intro guitar solo is also so much better.  The clapping when the riff kicks in is also so much of an asset to the song, because it pumps me up so much.

5. "Mother Mary"- Live.  The whole atmosphere of the song is so much better on Strangers In The Night.  The riff is so much heavier, and Phil's vocals are superb to say the least.  

6. "This Kid's"- Live.  The whole interlude/ guitar solo thing is so much more emotional on Strangers In The Night, and I love the grittiness.

7. "Love To Love"- Studio.  The whole sound was better on Lights Out, and I've never heard a live version that has completely met my expectations. Studio version is my favorite song of all time so I'm very picky.

8.  "Lights Out"- Live.  They are pretty much equal except for the "lights out in Chicago" line.  This made the song so much more of an anthem.

9. "Rock Bottom"- Live.  This has never been one of my favorite studio tunes, but the version on this album will blow your mind. The guitar solo is one of the best ever played by any guitarist.  

10. "Too Hot To Handle"- Studio.  I think the energy and sound is better on the Lights Out version.  Solo and riff also sound better.

11. "I'm A Loser"- Studio.  I like Danny Peyronel's playing more on the studio version, because he has a better sound than Raymond this time.  I also thing the studio version was tighter, and it is easier to listen to.

12. "Let It Roll"- Tie.  Neither version is better, because they sound exactly the same.

13.  "Shoot Shoot"- Tie.  Neither version is better, both are completely amazing.  

If you disagree with any of my opinions feel free to comment.

2 comments:

  1. I only disagree with your Love to Love decision. Have you heard the Live in Cleveland version off of the bootleg box? That is a hair raising version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks your opinion Logan. I just love the studio version so much. I will give this version another listen though.

      Delete