Thursday, June 13, 2013

Michael Schenker Temple Of Rock: Live In Europe DVD Review

5/5

Michael Schenker Temple Of Rock: Live In Europe is a DVD that was released in 2012, and it showcases a concert that took place on May 13th of 2012, and it was performed to advertise the new Michael Schenker album Temple Of Rock.  It is a high energy video that features many big names in music like Michael Schenker, Pete Way, and Scorpions members Rudolph Schenker, Herman Rarebell, and Francis Bucholz.  The DVD has songs from Scorpions, UFO, and songs from all of Michael Schenker's solo projects.  The first song is an instrumental, and it is meant to be an introduction to the people on stage.  Michael's guitar playing is magnificent, as it is on the whole entire DVD.  Some of the standouts on the DVD are "Lovedrive" by Scorpions, "Coast To Coast" by Scorpions, "Another Piece Of Meat" by Scorpions, "Lights Out" by UFO, "Shoot Shoot" by UFO, "Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scorpions, "Blackout" by Scorpions, and "Doctor Doctor."  

I like Michael's guitar tone so much on this album. He has such a clear and aggressive sound to his guitar.  I notice it even more than on anything I have ever heard him play.  The guitar solo on "Let It Roll" is the best sounding if the bunch, and it is completely amazing.  It just gives me the chills every time I hear it.  Herman Rarebell sounds great as always on his drums, and I think he does a great job with the UFO songs because he stays pretty true to the original beats.  Doogie White does a great job with vocals, especially on the Scorpions songs, and he also does a great job of singing the UFO songs, even though it doesn't even come close to Phil.

I feel that the songs that come from the Temple Of Rock album are also neat.  They have mind blowing guitar parts, and some great vocals too. The only thing I will say against them is that for this concert, the songs by UFO and the Scorpions definitely impress me much more.  I am going to take a listen to the album though to see how they are in the studio because I really did like them a lot.

The bonus features of this disc include five songs from Michael Schenker's band playing at the High Voltage Festial in London England on July 24th of 2011.  The lineup is pretty much the same, except Michael Voss is the singer, and Elliot Dean Rubinson is the bass player.  I feel that the standout of this show is "Doctor Doctor," because it features Rudolph Schenker, and Pete Way.  It is a very neat version of the song, and it is neat to see the original bass player back for it.

Overall, I think this is a very good disc, I recommend it to any fan of Michael Schenker, because it has songs from all of his eras of music.  I wish that there was a little more UFO, but I felt that there was enough to review this DVD on my blog.  So if you want a good watch, then definitely buy this DVD

2 comments:

  1. Got this Bluray, excellent.
    In my opinion the Temple Of Rock studio album would have been far better had Dougie White done all the vocals, this might be due to the fact I'm not a particularly big fan of The Scorpions though.
    I'm really looking forward to Schenkers new album with Dougie doing the vocals(last I heard) , this could be MSG, and Schenker on their way back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand Rob. I am a moderate Scorpions fan, but I'm not the biggest. The lyrics didn't really bother me a bunch, but I did like Dougie's voice better. I bet Schenker's new album will be great. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete