Saturday, June 15, 2013

What I Think Of Vinnie Moore In UFO


Over the last decade, Vinnie Moore has done the impossible by replacing Michael Schenker in UFO.  I feel that he was an excellent choice for a guitar player, because he has a lot of awesome melodies, and he has a lot of emotion in his playing.  Being a shredder, Vinnie was a big risk to put in the band, because some shredders just don't have that emotion that Michael has.  The reason for this is that shredders try to be as fast as possible, and that doesn't leave a lot of room for a connection with the audience.  But in Vinnie's case, he has a humongous amount of emotion, but he also has the technical skills to blow the minds of listeners with his speed and other crazy antics.  I think that the song "Wonderland" on Seven Deadly is a great example of this, because he plays fast and he has a thrash riff for the intro, but he shows a great amount of chill inducing playing, especially in the solo.  He can hit bends that not many shredders I have heard can do.  Another shredder that I can compare Vinnie to is Steve Vai, because he can also hit these emotional notes.

Even though I like Michael Schenker in the band more, I think that Vinnie is about as close anyone will get to reliving that era.  He is an amazing talent, and his riffs and solos are truly brilliant.  I can't wait to listen to more by Vinnie, and I highly recommend his era to anyone that hasn't heard it.

3 comments:

  1. Vinnie is a godsend for UFO , I'd been in a bit of a' doldrum with studio albums since Chapman left, got my hopes up too high when Schenker came back, finally I think they have got it right...
    I think Atomik Tommy was a mistake that really took the wind out of their sails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. The band was in very bad times until Vinnie ame in. He saved them just like Chapman did in the 80's. thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UFO is only UFO with Michael Schenker
    Nobody can replace him

    ReplyDelete