Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Least Favorite UFO Album.....

Even the best bands of music have their clunker album. Yes this includes UFO... The band was mainly consistent, but there was one dreaded album in their catalog.  This album was the 1983 Making Contact.  This album is a low point of UFO's music, and a low point in rock and roll alone. The sings are really really cheesy, the band fell into the basic 80's sound, and the performances aren't all that great either.  The high point of the album is "When it's Time To Rock," and even that song is ruined by a cheesy chorus.  Then there are annoying songs like "Diesel in the Dust."  I just think that this album shows a bad case of writer's block, because a lot of the songs are pathetic.  When it comes to bands like UFO, I hate to trash because they are so amazing, but I feel it's good to be honest when something truly bad was released. This album was the prime example of that.  If you want to hear great albums from the 80's by UFO, go to Mechanix, No Place To Run, The Wild The Willling and the Innocent, or Misdemeanor, because these are quality albums with great songs, and great performances.  Then there is the 70's UFO albums like Lights Out, No Heavy Petting, Force It, Strangers in the Night, and Phenomenon.  Then there are the Mick Bolton albums, the Vinnie Moore albums, etc. Just avoid this terrible album..... It really doesn't reflect on the amazingness of UFO, because they are the best hard rock band, and this is one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

3 comments:

  1. Making Contact is probably one of my faves with The Wild... and No Heavy Petting. Diesel in the Dust and When it's Time to Rock are really wonderful numbers. Not to mention Push, It's Love and The Way the Wild Wind Blows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I took some more listens, there are some pretty good songs. I just don't love the overdose of keys on the album on most of the songs, because it downplays some of Paul's really awesome riffs on the songs. That's what made me not like the album. But I understand where you are coming from. It's all opinion I guess. Thanks for your input!:)

      Delete
  2. Blinded by a lie, When it's time to Rock and Diesel in the Dust are great tunes. I saw them live by the time of Making Contact tour with Billy Sheehan on bass.

    ReplyDelete