Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Underrated Gem 11: Terri


When I first heard "Terri" on the album Mechanix, I thought to myself that it was one of the most beautiful vocal performances of all time.  Phil's voice in the chorus is so perfect.  It is like one of those things that you hear in your head, and then you actually see that it was a song and you're amazed.  I love how his voice fits so well with the chill worthy strings.  When the song's guitar riff kicks in, it gets so emotional, and his voice sounds even better.  Meanwhile, Paul Chapman puts some very tasteful licks in the verse, and then his guitar solo kicks butt.  It has such a controlled feeling, but he can still be a little crazy in a few moments.  This song is so much more than the normal ballad, because it breaks out of the normal formula that was famous in the 80's.  It captures so much raw beauty, and was written so well.  It is also extremely catchy, especially the chorus.  This song is one of my favorites of the album, and that's saying something because it is from one of my favorite rock albums ever.  I highly recommend it because it will leave you feeling so emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment