Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Unsung Members Of UFO

                                       
                                  Pete Way

   Even though Pete Way isn't in UFO anymore, I feel that he was/is a very important member of the band, and I also feel that at times that his contributions as the bass player of the band are underrated. Pete is an amazing bass player, because he plays with a huge amount of aggressiveness to his playing, and it really does its job of being the backbone to the band's rhythm.   I also notice that Pete is a musician's musician, because he was the influence of many top notch bassists like Steve Harris.  Even though he isn't a household name, I think he is also better than some of the very famous bassists like Gene Simmons and Geddy Lee.  

                              Andy Parker

I love Andy Parker's drumming, because he has so much emotion in his beats, and he is so easy to listen to.  I think that even when he does the simplest fills, like his fill into the verse of "Ain't No Baby," it is a fill that you look forward to hearing, and you almost always have to air drum it.  One of my favorite of his drum tracks is actually "Queen Of The Deep," because it has such an aggressive beat, and it is very Bill Wardish.  I think that Andy Parker is also one of my favorite drummers, because he also has a great control to his beats.  He doesn't try to be the fastest drummer in the world, but he gets a way better feel than if he were to be super fast.

                              Danny Peyronel

Even though Danny Peyronel was only on UFO's No Heavy Petting album, I feel that his keyboard playing in the band was very important for paving the way for Paul Raymond coming into the band.  His playing on songs like "Natural Thing" are very cool, because they almost serve as a back up guitar for the band when Michael was only playing by himself.  He had a very cool style to his playing, because it was very technically great like on "I'm A Loser," and he also just had a great feeling to his playing.



                                                  Far Left: Mick Bolton

I feel that even though Mick Bolton's guitar playing wasn't as good as Michael Schenker or Vinnie Moore, he had some really amazing solos on songs like "Flying," and "Come Away Melinda."  He had a much more psychedelic sound to his playing, and it made the vibe of the music much more spacey.  I think he was cool because he wasn't flashy.  His solos had a lot of emotion, and at times he reminded me a little of David Gilmour.  He is really a unsung member of the band, because it is hard to find out what is going on with him, and he is definetely not a household name at all.  I think that he wasn't featured in the best period of UFO, but he is definitely worth checking out.

    As I have said before, I feel that all of the members of this band are underrated, but I made this post to give credit to some of the members of the band that get the least attention.  All of them were very important to the band, and they deserve the same amount of credit as everyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment