Sunday, June 30, 2013

What Is Your Favorite Paul Chapman Era Song?


Even though my favorite era of UFO is when Michael Schenker was on the band, I still think that Paul Chapman was completely awesome in the band.  He had so many catchy riffs, and also phenomenal guitar solos.  The songs of this era were also great too.  I feel that these albums were close to as good as any of the albums of the previous era.  These songs were much more of the type of song that could be a huge radio hit.  They had great choruses, and all around great vocal performances from Phil.  I feel that this era almost got a Foreigner type of sound to it.  Some of the songs of this era had a very brutal hard rock sound to them, while some had an uplifting pop sound.  My favorite original song of this era is "Anyday" from the album No Place To Run.  The reason why I love this song is because its chorus has such an in your face feeling to it.  Other songs from this era are also great.  Their cover of "Mystery Train" is completely phenomenal, and it has some of the greatest guitar playing of all time.  "Anyday" is still my favorite, because of the song's vibe and darkness.  What is your favorite song from the Paul Chapman era?

13 comments:

  1. Great choice on Anyday. Read a Tonka interview where he was disappointed they never played this song live. He also said that he played the bass parts on the album as well. I'd add Profession Of..., Dreaming and Everybody Knows (Making Contact) in the mix as well. Read the Popoff book about UFO. To this day can't figure out why Mogg, Raymond and Way have been so down on him and his time with UFO (especially Raymond). Don't get it. BG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I completely agree. He was very important in the band, and he saved them from going down a hard road because losing Michael was one big deal. I also love Profession Of Violence it is a great song. I will be sure to check out that book. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Although there are quite a few songs from the "Tonka" era that I like, I think I'll cast my vote for "We Belong To Thje Night" from the Mechanix album. The chugging riff is irresistably propulsive and that quick,frantic solo hits you hard and stays with you. I'd like to add Ryan, that I'm really a big fan of his work with Waysted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah definitely. We Belong To The Night is an amazing song. I almost picked it actually. And Waysted is a pretty neat band. I have done some listening to them, because I really like Pete Way as a bass player. Thanks for the opinion.

      Delete
  3. Long Gone, The Wild The Willing and the Innocent, Anyday, The Way the Wild Wind Blows,
    Profession Of Violence, Doing It All For You...just to name a very few. Love me some Tonka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all great. I love the Tonka era too. He was so great, and he is my second favorite UFO guitarist. Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great tracks from this era but I'd have to say either Dreaming or Profession Of Violence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo those are both amazing tracks! I love Profession Of Violence so much.

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with Anyday. I remember reading somewhere that it was his favourite solo. Shame the song faded out due to vinyl limitations at the time. would love to hear an extended version with a longer solo.

    My other personal faves are Letting go, Makin moves, Lonely heart, We belong to the night/Rain, The way the wild wind blows and No getaway (really sinister intro).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree. Everyone of those songs are awesome. Lonely Heart is probably my second favorite of the Paul Chapman era

    ReplyDelete
  8. chapman far better than Michael or vinny moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Michael slightly more, but he is light years ahead of Vinnie

      Delete
  9. Andreas Witte from Herdecke/GermanySeptember 25, 2022 at 1:56 AM

    Well, at first let me say that Paul Chapman (R.I.P.) was so underrated. He never got the fame he deserved. My favourite song is "Makin' Moves". The first thirty seconds are breathtaking, I used to turn up the volume to check my speaker boxes. And woke up the whole neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete