Friday, July 12, 2013

A New Side Of UFO: The Writer Song Review.


In 1982, UFO released the classic album Mechanix.  This album featured an amazing song called "The Writer."  This song was still a hard rocker like the band was known for, but it was notably their first and maybe only song to have a saxophone.  This was all because of the new keyboard and guitar player Neil Carter.  I think he was a cool addition to the band, because he knew music so well that he could do four plus instruments in the band.  Paul Raymond is kind of the same way too.  I like this song a lot, because it is different, but it is also just one of the best songs of the 80's.  I like that the keyboards don't dominate the song like many others during this decade.  The sax solo is completely awesome, because it fits so well with the amazing guitar riff.  Phil's vocals are very good on this song, because he is very aggressive like he always is.  I hope that if you check this song out if you haven't heard it, because it is phenomenal.

4 comments:

  1. Killer guitar riff! Awesome song! I'm glad you turned me on to this one, Ryan. And the sax....never saw that coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for sure. I love this song along with the whole Chapman era, because they were very creative.

      Delete
  2. Actually the first UFO song with Sax was Lonely Heart from TWW&TI

    ReplyDelete