Friday, July 19, 2013

UFO: The Best Of UFO(1974-1983) Album Review

3.5/5

The Best Of UFO 1974-1983 was the first cd I ever bought from the band.  I feel that it is pretty good, but some of the songs featured could definitely be switched with other much better songs.  This album goes for a lot more of the big hits by the band, but that doesn't always mean they are the best.  The songs that I have problems with on hear are "Can You Roll Her" and "When It's Time To Rock."  I don't dislike either of these songs, but when you look through the catalog of the Schenker and Chapman eras; these songs are definitely on the lower end.  First off, if they wanted another song from No Heavy Petting, they could've easily put "Belladonna," "Highway Lady," or "On With The Action," because everyone one of those tracks are stronger than "Can You Roll Her."  If they wanted another Paul Chapman song, I think that a better choice would've been "Anyday," or even "Mystery Train," because I feel that "When It's Time To Rock" is one of the weaker Chapman songs, as it has a little more of the 80's cheese, and not as much raw energy.  Another problem with this cd is that there was only one song from the Obsession album.  I feel that this was their shining moment in the studio, and that songs like "Born To Lose" or "Cherry" could've easily been on this disc.  I really like that they used the Strangers In The Night version of "Doctor Doctor" on this disc, because it is so much better than the studio track.  I also like how they kept the slide intro on "Love To Love" on the song, because when you buy the cd Lights Out, they put this brilliant part onto electric phase, and this makes the album much less authentic.  I got started with the band by buying this album, and for a beginner fan I think this is a great disc. 

The problem is that when you really get into the band; you see how weak some of the picks are.  I only recommend this disc to collectors and new fans to the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment